05 April 2022

The Framework laptop: an upgradeable, modular, customizable, user-repairable laptop

updated: 27 April 2022
Framework logo

As the owner of a Fairphone, I was immediately interested when I first heard of the Framework Laptop. It is really a good principle that the owner can replace broken parts or can upgrade his computer.  

Framework laptop with Ubuntu

I don't remember exactly when and where, but I think it was an ad in YouTube when I first heard of the Framework laptop. I signed up for notification when the notebook would be available in the Netherlands. A month later deliveries to the Netherlands started. I ordered a DIY  (Do It Yourself) edition of Framework (Intel i5-1135G7). A few weeks later a friendly young lady delivered the package at my doorstep. Excellent service! My first notebook ever. I have always used desktop PC's. I used an iPad for less important activities. I never felt the need to replace my desktop with a notebook. At the time (some 6 years ago) I was impressed by the innovative features of the iPad (touchscreen, pop-up virtual keyboard). But it couldn't replace my desktop. Things changed with Framework. I couldn't resist to buy the Framework laptop. Will the Framework prove to be a full replacement? It's too early to say. I have to find out.

Five optional expansion cards, memory, storage, Framework screwdriver

 

Framework power cord

Ubuntu

During the past decennia I started to hate MS Windows more and more. I migrated to Ubuntu (Linux) on my desktops. At the time I was already familiar with Unix. I have been a happy Ubuntu user for some ten years. Fortunately and importantly, the Framework computer can be ordered without OS! That was my second important reason to buy a Framework. It gets even better: they have an Linux support page with detailed installation instructions. I appreciate that very much. The installation of Ubuntu on Framework is a little bit different than the Startup Disk Creator I routinely used. The Framework website recommends the 'balenaEtcher' software to create a start-up USB. Obviously the people at Framework  care about Ubuntu users. The latest Ubuntu release 20.04.4 is recommended. That's what I installed. The installation was completed successfully. After removal of the USB stick I rebooted, but an endless stream of data ran on my screen (black/white). Waiting several minutes... It didn't stop automatically. I finally pressed the power button for about 5 sec and the machine rebooted. Look: there is the familiar Ubuntu login screen. Mission completed. I still don't know what I did wrong. But I don't care any more. Ubuntu was installed on my Framework.

Working with Framework

I was used to an increasingly slow Wi-Fi connection and very slow loading of webpages on my iPad. On my Framework webpages appear almost instantaneously. A huge improvement. All with the same Wi-Fi connection at home. I needed to learn how to use the touchpad and do 'mouse things' with it. I learned by trial and error to scroll pages with two fingers. I discovered that a click on the touchpad is a real click just as clicking a mouse button. Amazing invention! A finger click in the right bottom of the touchpad equals a mouse click which triggers the mouse menu. The touchpad really moves a little downwards. So, this is a real replacement of a mouse. I learned that this kind of touchpad is called a 'clickpad'. The screen of the Framework is not a touchscreen as an iPad screen (why not?). That means that habits have to be unlearned. 

Transferring files from Fairphone to Framework with Bluetooth works just fine (after one-time initialistion). 

The built-in webcam and microphone do work as expected and can be turned-off by a physical switch.

Framework screwdriver (included in the package) and screw.
Please note the similarity with the framework logo (
Torx Plus pattern)
Could it be an accident that the Framework logo is identical to a Torx Plus screwdriver? Symbol of a reparable computer?

Memory card

There are 6 hardware expansion cards available. However, I only realised that there wasn't a SDHC memory card reader when I wanted to plug in the memory card of my camera. Unfortunately, there isn't such a reader available. Yet. I submitted a question to the customer service. The next day an answer came in. Thank you for this fast response! It reads that Framework is constantly working on possible improvements and additions, but they can't say whether a SDHC memory card reader will be available. However, there is a microSD port, so you can read microSD cards. I learned that on the Framework community pages some creative tech people build their own card readers! But I prefer original Framework components. So, I have to wait... However, there is an alternative method: connect your digital camera with an usb cable to the usb-A port of your Framework. The Seissiger wildcamera can be connected to the Framework with a usb-A/mini-B usb cable. 

 

FairLaptop?

Framework writes about e-waste on its website: "We need to improve recyclability, but the biggest impact we can make is generating less waste to begin with by making our products last longer." Excellent. But there is more. For example the Fairphone company cares about human rights and worker well-being. Importantly, they use responsibly sourced materials, and are the first and only smartphone company to be Fairtrade gold certified. Framework is assembled in Taiwan [1]. How are working conditions there? What about the materials that go into their computer? Please, Framework team talk to the Fairphone people and learn from their struggle to create an ethical smartphone. Implement their solutions in your future laptops! I'll buy a FairFramework laptop! 

A small thing. On their website it says "Every part of the Framework Laptop has a scannable QR code, giving you unprecedented access to documentation, repair guides, replacement and upgrade parts". I tried the QR code of the power adapter with Google lens, it guided me to the homepage of Framework, but not to a webshop page where you can order the article. Other products such as memory and storage only have barcodes which do not guide you anywhere. There are repair and replacement guides, but you cannot buy parts. You can order a laptop with parts, but not parts without laptop. There is work to do.

A quick test of the battery: with the lid down (sleep mode) it takes 11 hours to go from 100% to 14% and i takes 13 h 30 min to run out of energy completely. The recharge to 100% takes just 2 hours. That is fast enough for me.

Finally, a future addition: what about a solar panel on the backside of the screen? The cover is large enough for a decent solar 'panel'. Think about that: a self-charging laptop! That would be exciting! Currently, the backside only carries the logo. Alternatively, I wonder whether it is somehow possible to charge the laptop with the Waka Waka powerbank (and solar panel).

I applaud the effort Framework has already put into the laptop and I hope this laptop will be a huge success and that they develop it into an ethical and fairtrade computer.

 

Good News: A Carbon Neutral Laptop Option

27 Apr 2022

As if Framework had read my blog and followed up my suggestion for a FairLaptop, Framework announced a carbon neutral laptop option. See the news here. Not yet available in the Netherlands.


Resources

https://frame.work

https://tw.linkedin.com/company/frameworkcomputer

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framework_Computer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framework_Computer

https://guides.frame.work/Guide/Ubuntu+20.04+LTS+Installation+on+the+Framework+Laptop/117

ubuntu-20.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso  (is ISO file for Ubuntu)

https://www.balena.io/etcher/ (software to create a bootable USB)

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Framework-Laptop-13-5-Review-If-Microsoft-Made-A-Repairable-Surface-Laptop-This-Would-Be-It.551850.0.html     (this is a very thorough technical report of the Framework laptop) 

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_trade

The Fairtrade smartphone: https://www.fairphone.com/

Gert Korthof: Waka Waka Base10: first test results. Solar panel to charge led lights, tablets, mobile phone and camera. blog 17 September 2015

Gert Korthof: Bestaat de ethische consument en producent? De fairphone als testcase (blog 16 November 2016)

Why Framework? watch this: I want to love Apple, but they’re making it hard (youtube) - Annoyingly, the Mac Studio's software lock prevents SSD upgrades. (added 15 April)

 

Notes

  1. Framework made in Taiwan: "Laptop orders ship directly from Taiwan, a short truck ride away from our factor."
  2. A microSD/SD card adapter can be inserted in your wildcamera and subsequently be read in your Framework laptop. Problem solved. It works also for my SonyA6400 camera. Problem solved! [20 April 2022]

 

Updated 11 April: I added my discovery that the Framework logo suspiciously looks like the tip of the screwdriver included in the package: The screwdriver as a symbol of repairability!

Update 13 April: cable connection of the Seissiger wildcamera with the Framework laptop.

Updated 15 April.

Updated 20 April (Notes). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments to posts >30 days old are being moderated.
Safari causes problems, please use Firefox or Chrome for adding comments.